Nebraska Gun Laws

 Quick Facts on Nebraska CCW

Carry In Vehicle

Details will be stated below.

Must Notify Officer


Carry In State Parks Allowed


No Weapons Signs Enforced


Open Carry Permitted


Carry In Liquor Establishment


Constitutional Carry


Information on Permits For Nebraska

Nebraska’s firearms laws designate it as a “Shall Issue” state. Permits are only available to residents and are issued by the State Patrol Department at the state level. Military personnel stationed in Nebraska are granted exemptions and are classified as residents.

Applicants must be at least 21 years old and have completed a weapons safety course. Notarization is required on the application form.

List of states that honor a Nebraska Permit

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

List of states that Nebraska honors their permits

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

For districts and territories, Nebraska honors permits from the District of Columbia.

For Iowa, Nebraska only honors the Non-professional permit; for North Dakota, Nebraska will only honor the Class 1 permit; for South Dakota, Nebraska will only honor the Enhanced permit.

Nebraska CCW Permit

Nebraska is a “shall issue” state, and the permit is for residents only and is valid for 5 years.


Applicants must be at least 21 years old and also a resident of Nebraska for the last 180 days.

Applicants need to pass an approved firearms training course as well as complete a vision test. Applicants must be a citizen of the United States and have never had a conviction for violation of any law relating to firearms, unlawful use of a weapon, or controlled substances in Nebraska or any other jurisdiction in the past ten (10) years.

Steps to get a permit

Get a vision exam if you don’t have a driver’s license. A driver’s license verifies that you have had your vision examined and passed. After that, you must finish a weapons training course and then fill out and have notarized the application, which you can find under the FORMS tab or pick up from Troop Headquarters.

Aside from that, you’ll need the following documents: Proof of training, evidence of vision – drivers license, proof of citizenship – birth certificate or passport, and proof of address – driver’s license or Nebraska ID card are all required documents.

After that, you can present the application and all of the necessary documents to the Troop Headquarters nearest you. Your fingerprints will be captured, as well as your signature and picture. Finally, if your application is approved, you will get a notification by mail.


New permits will cost $100, whereas renewal of permits will cost $50. Cash and check are two forms of accepted payment.

Off-limit areas

Where you can carry

State parks, state and national forests, road side rest areas, vehicle, and basically all areas of the state – except those listed down below.

Where you cannot carry

Police, Sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office, detention facility, prison, or jail, courtroom or building which contains a courtroom, polling place during a bona fide election, meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision, meeting of the Legislature or a Committee of the Legislature, financial Institution, professional or semi professional athletic event, building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private post secondary career school, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university, place of worship, hospital, emergency room, or trauma center, political rally or fundraiser, establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor, place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law, place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permit holders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises, into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by state law.

More details on Gun Laws in Nebraska

Who issues a permit?

Nebraska State Patrol at Lincoln or Troop Area Headquarters outside of Lincoln issues concealed carry permits/licenses.

Processing time

The application for a concealed carry permit or license must be handled within five days of receipt.

Is it a must to notify a law enforcement officer?

Yes, it is a must to inform officers on contact by law. “Whenever a permit holder carrying a concealed handgun is contacted by a peace officer or by emergency services personnel, the permit holder shall immediately inform the peace officer or emergency services personnel that the permit holder is carrying a concealed handgun,” according to Nebraska gun laws.

When carrying a handgun, you must also have your permit and driver’s license with you in case you bumped into law enforcement officers.

No weapons signs enforced

Yes. Nebraska’s firearms regulations make “No Weapons” signs legally binding. Entering a private property or company that has displayed these notices with a concealed handgun has legal consequences.

Regardless of whether the law allows or prohibits signage, we advise avoiding entering a property with a “No Weapons” sign. If you refuse to leave a property after being ordered to do so, you are breaching the law and risk being prosecuted.

Vehicle carry

Yes, you may drive with a loaded pistol in your vehicle provided it is visible. To carry a concealed handgun inside or outside a vehicle, you must have a permit.

Open carry

In Nebraska, open carry is legal. Local governments, on the other hand, have the authority to enact their own restrictions, so you should verify the local laws in your region. The age requirement for open carry is 18.

Restaurant carry

If you may carry in a restaurant that offers alcohol, the answer is “Yes” or “No.” Some restaurants may have “NO GUN” signs displayed. Check with the staff to see whether this just applies to the bar. If we answered “Yes,” then eating a meal without drinking alcohol should be legal.

State park carry

Carry is legal in state parks, state forests, WMAs, and rest places along highways.

Federal Law

What are the federal prohibited carry areas (even with a permit)?

Federal Courthouses, Federal Buildings, any Building Owed, Leased or Rented by the Federal Government. This includes buildings in National Forests which are property of the Federal Government.

There is no Federal Law that prohibits carry in National Forests. States control the carrying of firearms in National Forests in their state, Federal Prisons, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – The Corps builds and runs flood control and navigation Dams. The Corps has jurisdiction over the Dam Site and usually all waters backed up by the dam. Carry anywhere on Corps property is illegal.

Firearms can be unloaded and secured in a vehicle while on Corps Property, National Cemeteries, Military Bases Firearms are forbidden on military bases even unloaded and secured in a vehicle. Carry not allowed.

Some have shooting clubs. You can take firearms onto the Base to shoot if allowed by the base. Certain rules/regulations must be met before bringing firearms onto a Military Compound.

Check at each Military Post for specific rules on Shooting Clubs, Rented Offices, Any part of any building that the Federal Government has rented for Office space or work force etc. Just their offices or the part of the building they have control over.

You can carry in the rest of the building if state or local laws allow. Amtrak will have a system in place to check firearms/Ammo in (Amtrak Firearms Policy), Post Office – Postal regulations prohibit the possession of firearms in their buildings and in their parking lots or any property they own, Bureau of Land Management – If you can legally carry in the state the BLM land is in you can carry on the BLM land.

If it is not legal the area will be posted as no firearms allowed. Any building on the BLM land operated by the federal government is considered federal property and carrying in those buildings is not allowed, Indian Reservations – Carry on Indian property is controlled by Tribal Law.

You must check with each tribe before carrying on their property. Some Indian Tribes consider federal and state highways through their property as under their control.

Leave a Comment