The Mossberg 500 and 590 series is without a doubt one of the most popular pump-action shotguns around. While they’re most well known for their powerful tactical pump-action that has been serving military and police departments around the world, this weapon platform is also used by thousands for home defense and hunting purposes.
The sheer popularity and versatility of this shotgun have led to a tremendous number of aftermarket support just for the Mossberg 500 and 590 platform, allowing owners all over the country to set up and customize their shotgun optimally according to their own preferences and needs.
In our guide today, we will be going through some of the best Mossberg 500 accessories and upgrades available on the market to help you build the perfect shotgun. To clarify, the 590 and 590A1 models are essentially the same as a 500 but with a thicker barrel, hence, this list will also double as a guide for the best Mossberg 590 upgrades!
|Accessories||Name||Editor’s Comment||Rating||Get The Deal|
|Streamlight TL-Racker (Forend with Integrated Light)||1. 850 Lumens|
2. 14,000 Candela
3. 1.5 Hours Run Time
|Magpul MOE M-LOK Mossberg 590/590A1 Forend||1. Includes adapter to fit Mossberg 500|
2. Improved pump manipulation
3. Reinforced construction
|Magpul – M-LOK Vertical Grip||1. Lightweight synthetic grip|
2. M-LOK compatible
3. TSP texture
|Leapers UTG Picatinny Rail||1. Air-craft grade aluminum alloy|
2. Picatinny mount type
3. Quick and easy installation
|Holosun HS403B||1. Made from CNC Aluminum|
2. Red LED Illumination
3. 5-year battery life
|Bushnell TRS-25||1. Multi-coated lens|
2. 11 brightness settings
3. Extended battery life
|Blackhawk Knoxx Specops GEN III (Recoil Reducing) Stock||1. 2-stage recoil reduction system|
2. 6-position adjustable stock
3. Buttstock tensioner
|Mossberg Flex Synthetic Pistol Grip Black for Flex 500/590||1. Durable synthetic material|
2. Good grip
3. Rugged design
|Trijicon MRO Reflex Sight||1. Made from 7075-T6 forged aluminum|
2. Red LED illumination
3. 5-year battery life
|MESA TACTICAL Rail and Shell Holders||1. Made from 6061 T6 aluminum|
2. Rail and shell design
3. Quicker reloads
|XS Big Dot Front Sight||1. Machined steel construction|
2. Fits round barrels
3. Clear images during both day or night
|Mossberg Barrel 20″||1. Blued barrel finish|
2. 12 gauge
3. Accu set choke size
The Best Mossberg 500 and 590 Upgrades and Accessories
With a large number of potential accessories on the market, it can definitely be tough for one to decide on just where to start, which one is the best, which one should be left alone, is a better sight necessary, do you need that heat shield and etc. especially for a first-timer! One good thing to keep in mind while you’re going through our guide is that the best Mossberg 500 upgrade for someone else may not be useful for you. So, do check your application and needs while searching for the best Mossberg 500 accessories with the best fit.
1. Streamlight TL-Racker (Forend with Integrated Light) – The Best Weapon Light
- 850 Lumens
- 14,000 Candela
- 1.5 Hour Run Time
- 10.78 – 11.08 oz
If we were to pick one single best improvement for a Mossberg 500/590, it would definitely be the Streamlight TL-Racker. This Mossberg 500/590 weapon light is a must-have accessory, thanks to its ability to add a fantastic light that’s easy to actuate with your natural grip.
The Mossberg 500/590 weapon light features a large ambidextrous pad (marked “Streamlight” that runs along the side of the forend to offer both momentary and constant-on functionality. The TL-Racker delivers 850 lumens of output, making it the perfect home defense lights for the Mossberg 500/590 gun. The beam is reasonably focused and can even reach a maximum candela of 14,000.
The TL-Racker is so bright that it could easily light up any room in your house and can even be useful past the effective range of a buckshot. The light is so powerful that you need to keep it away from your eyes. You could, however, shine it into your attacker to affect their vision temporarily!
Not only does the Streamlight TL-Racker offer a great Mossberg 500/590 upgrade thanks to its light source, but its ergonomic design drastically improves the feel over stock Mossberg 500 forends. The concave section gives you better leverage when moving it both backward and frontward while the great texture along the forend ensures a better grip.
Other than that, the Streamlight TL-Racker also costs less than half of what its main competitors are going for while putting out more lumens. Streamlight offers fantastic products at reasonable prices and the TL-Racker is no exception, making it a top pick for the best Mossberg 500 shotgun upgrades for home defense.
2. Magpul MOE M-LOK Mossberg 590/590A1 Forend The Best MLOK Attachment
- Includes an adapter for the Mossberg 500 shotguns
- Compatible with Remington 870 12ga shotguns
- Reinforced constructions
- Increased length for improved pump manipulation
- Does not overlap receiver for sidesaddle compatibility
- Installation wrench included
If you’re worried about the budget and the Streamlight TL-Racker is a little too pricey for you, then the Magpul’s MOE M-LOK Forend will be a good substitute for you. The Magpul Forend allows you to attach any lights or other accessories easily onto your Mossberg 500/590 weapon via its MLOK slots.
Aside from adding all the accessories you need onto this forend, the MLOK slots also allow for greater flexibility with your Mossberg 500/590 rifle platform, whether it’s for home defense, down at the range, or out on a hunt. The Mossberg 500/590 forend even comes with an installation wrench included for a straightforward installation process.
The super-lightweight design also means that you won’t even notice any added weight to your existing Mossberg 500/590 shotgun set-up. Plus, it is also designed to be compatible with Mossberg 590 and 590A1 12 gauge shotguns. Made from high-grade reinforced polymer, this Mossberg forend will meet the rigorous demands that a shooter would have to face while out in the field, hunting, or camping.
One drawback is that this Mossberg shotgun accessory is unfortunately only compatible with Mossberg 590 and 590A1 models that come with 7 ⅝” action tube assemblies, meaning this will not fit Mossberg 500 shotguns with a 6 ½ action tube assemblies. Nonetheless, this would still make a fantastic cheap upgrade for those with a Mossberg 590 shotgun.
3. Magpul – M-LOK Vertical Grip – The Best Grip
- High strength, light weight synthetic vertical grip.
- Directly mounts to MLOK compatible systems.
- Uses Magpul TSP texture for positive control in all environments.
- Rounded contours and shorter lengths to optimize use with the “thumb break” method of shooting.
- Allows room for all kinds of magazine changes.
- Includes all installation hardware.
While some may be a huge fan of vertical grips, the Magpul M-LOK Vertical Grip features a very lightweight construction that offers a much firmer control of your Mossberg 500/590 shotgun’s recoil effects, ensuring a far more stable shooting and more accurate successive shots.
The Mossberg 500 vertical grip is made from the same high-grade reinforced polymer that you’d often see in many reputable Magpul products and their upgrades. Additionally, the company has even added its new TSP texturing to this grip for a more comfortable and solid purchase in various demanding climates and weather conditions.
You even get to benefit from a strong ergonomic design with this Mossberg 500/590 grip as the smooth contours ensure a comfortable grip over long periods. In addition, the grip is even shorter than many other types available on the market for a more compact rifle set-up.
Those familiar with M-LOK slots should know how easily they’re able to mount this vertical grip onto their handguard, making this an ideal accessory to buy in conjunction with the Magpul Mossberg 590/590A1 MOE Forend discussed above.
Other impressive features of this Mossberg 500/590 vertical grip includes a design optimized for a thumb break method of shooting and an easy to install construction. The C-clamp style of the Mossberg grip enables a highly effective and quick tactical shooting at fast-moving targets. It even allows you to hold back aggressive recoil easily.
4. Leapers UTG Picatinny Rail – The Best Picatinny Rail
- Finish: Hard Coat Anodized
- Fabric/Material: Aircraft-grade Aluminum Alloy
- Gun Rail: M-LOK
- Width: 0.835 in
- Height: 0.36 in
- Included Accessories: Steel Allen Screws, MLOK Steel Locking Nuts, Allen Wrench
- Base/Mount Type: Picatinny
In addition to weapon lights, you would also want to consider getting a red dot sight for all your home defense guns. However, you’re going to need to have a rail to attach such accessories. If your Mossberg 500 shotgun doesn’t already have a rail, then the UTG Mossberg 500 Picatinny Rail Mount would make for a super cheap and easy-to-install option to let you mount a red dot or any other optic of your choice onto your Mossberg 500/590 gun.
This Mossberg shotgun rail can be installed on the top of your Mossberg 500’s receiver in just minutes, allowing you to quickly mount red dot sights, optics, or even other accessories you like. Best of all, this upgrade is very affordable and costs around the price of a pizza!
5. MESA TACTICAL Rail and Shell Holders – The Best Rail and Shell Holder
- 6061 T6 aluminum, anodized, matte black.
- All models include mounting hardware, rubber gasket, and installation instructions.
- Right-Hand models only.
- Remington Sidemount fits models 870/1100/11-87 (may require modification to the gun).
- Rem 4-Round Sidemount – 5¼” (13.3cm) long x 1½” (3.8cm) high. 3.9 oz. (111g) wt.
- Rem 6-Round Sidemount – 6¼” (15.8cm) long x 1½” high. 5.4 oz. (152g) wt.
- Rem 8-Round Sidemount – 7¾” (19.7) long x 1½” high. 7 oz. (200g) wt.
- Remington Picatinny fits models 870/1100/11-87 (may require modification to the gun). 7” (15.8cm) long x 2½” (6.3cm) high. 7.6 oz. (215g) wt.
- Mossberg fits models 500/590. 6-round only. 6-3⁄8″ (16.2cm) long x 1-3⁄8″ (3.5cm) high. 5.2 oz. (147g) wt.
- Benelli Sidemount fits M1/M2/M3. Benelli 6-Round Sidemount – 6” (15.2cm) long x 2½” high. 6.3 oz. (179g) wt.
- Benelli 8-Round Sidemount – 7¾” long x 2½” high. 8.1 oz. (230g) wt.
- Benelli Picatinny available for M2 (requires drilling tapping receiver to fit M1), M4/M1014, and Supernova.
- Benelli M2 6-Round Picatinny – 6” long x 2 (5.1cm)” high. 7.4 oz. (210g) wt.
- Benelli M4/M1014 6-Round Picatinny – 6” long x 2” (5.1cm) high. 7.5 oz. (213g) wt. Benelli M4/M1014 8-Round Picatinny –7¾” long x 2” high. 9.5 oz. (268g) wt.
- Benelli Supernova 4-Round Picatinny – 8” (20cm) long x 1¾” (4.4cm) high. 6.2 oz. (176g) wt.
Every shotgun owner that enjoys firing off repeated shots continuously will definitely need to get a shell holder for quick reloads. If you’re one of those and want to add a rail to your Mossberg 500, then you may just want to consider the rail and shell holder from MESA Tactical. This versatile accessory is basically two accessories wrapped into one convenient product! Other than that, the MESA TACTICAL even offers a variety of configurations for the Mossberg 500/590 shotguns as well as other shotgun models that are easy to install onto the shotguns.
You shouldn’t mistake this MESA Tactical rail and shell holder for a cheap inferior plastic only product. In fact, it is made from 4.5-inch of durable polymer and alloy design, weighing only 9.6 ounces! Despite the feather-light weight, this Mossberg 500/590shotgun accessory is very solid and versatile, making the MESA Tactical rail and shell holder a great choice for home defense, at the range, or even hunting.
Attaching this high-quality MESA Tactical rail and shell holder is a very simple process as it comes with four screw holes on the top of your Mossberg 500/590 rifle that will match up perfectly for you to just screw this accessory securely for long-lasting use. If you’re still unclear, the accessory comes with instructions laid out clearly and concisely for you to follow. However, older Mossberg models may have to remove the trigger group in order for this to be installed.
Once you’ve got your Picatinny rail on your Mossberg 500/590 shotgun, it is time to choose the best red dot sight to go with it! If you’re looking for a robust red dot sight, then you could consider the Trijicon MRO, Holosun HS403B, and even the Bushnell TRS-25 as some of our favorite options. These are great high-quality accessories/upgrades available at various price points to suit different budgets.
6. Trijicon MRO Reflex Sight – The Best Red Dot Sights
- Color: Black
- Fabric/Material: 7075-T6 forged aluminum
- Magnification: 1 x
- Objective Lens Diameter: 25 mm
- Reticle: Dot
- Illumination Type: LED
- Illumination Color: Red
- Eye Relief: Infinite
- Adjustment Type: MOA
- Adjustment Click Value: 0.5 MOA
- Battery Type: CR2032
- Battery Quantity: 1
- Battery Life: 5 years of continuous use at Day-Setting 3
- Water Resistant Mark: 100 ft
- Length: 2.6 in
- Width: 1.7 in
- Height: 2 in
- Additional Features: 8 Illumination Settings
- Included Accessories: Lens Cloth
- Magnification Type: Fixed
- W/E Travel at 100 Yds: 70 MOA
- Objective Aperture: 20.4 mm
7. Holosun HS403B
- Color: Black
- Finish: Micro Arc
- Fabric/Material: CNC Aluminum
- Magnification: 1 x
- Objective Lens Diameter: 20 mm
- Reticle 2 MOA Dot
- Illumination Type: LED
- Illumination Color: Red
- Eye Relief: Unlimited
- Adjustment Click Value: 0.5 in at 100 yds
- Lens Material: Glass
- Optical Coating: Multi-Layer Reflecting
- Attachment/Mount Type: 1/3 Co-Witness Mount, Low Profile, Quick Release
- Battery Type: CR2032
- Battery Life: Up to 5 years
- Operating Temperature: 22 – 140 Fahrenheit
- Water Resistance Level: Waterproof
- Water Resistant Mark: 1 m
- Length: 63 mm
- Width: 30 mm
- Height: 58 mm
- Weight:124 g
- Included Accessories 1/3 Co-witness Mount, Low Mount
- Package Type Box
- Magnification Type: Fixed
- Brightness Index: 2NV / 10DL
- Tube Diameter: 22m
- W/E Travel at 100 Yds: 50 MOA
8. Bushnell TRS-25
- Adjustment Range (Total): 70+ MOA
- Click Value: 1 MOA
- Dot Color: Red
- Exit Pupil (mm): 25mm / .894 in.
- Eye Relief (in.): Unlimited
- Length (in.): 63mm / 2.48 in.
- Lens Coating: Multi-coated
- Magnification x Objective Lens: 1x25mm
- Parallax: 50
- Brightness Settings: 11
- Reticle : 3 MOA Dot
- Tube Diameter: N/A
- Water Resistant: Yes, IPX7
- Waterproof/Fogproof: Yes
- Weight (g): 113g / 4oz
- MOA Per Rev: 40
- Mount: Picatinny
- Extended Battery Life: Yes
- Nitrogen Purged: Yes
- Battery: CR2032
- Auto Shutoff: No
9. XS Big Dot Front Sight
- Material: Machined steel, black, matte finish.
- Big Dot
- Diameter: 161” (4mm)
- Fits beads from .125” (3.2mm) to .140” (3.5mm)
- Vent Rib fits ventilated ribs
- Plain Barrel fits round barrels
- Includes instructions.
If you don’t enjoy red dot sights or don’t really plan on using one on your Mossberg 500/590 shotgun for any reason, then you may at least consider upgrading your bead sight. Our favorite Mossberg 500/590 sight upgrade in this respect is the XS Big Dot Front Sight. As the name suggests, this is a huge piece of accessory!
The size, combined with its tritium insert will make sure you can see clearly and easily through your Mossberg 500/590 gun both day or night. Not only that, but this can be easily installed over your Mossberg 500/590 weapon’s front sight with the included adhesive.
10. Blackhawk Knoxx Specops GEN III (Recoil Reducing) Stock
- Two-stage patented recoil reduction system
- Innovative patent-pending recoil pad technology
- Straight cheek weld for reduced cheek slap
- Six-position adjustable stock with 12.5in to 15.2in length of pull range
- Buttstock tensioner to remove the rattle
- Ergonomic pistol grip optimized for tactical shooting techniques
- Multiple ambidextrous sling mounting locations
- Easy installation
- Forend with integrated hand stop
- Multi-position Picatinny-style accessory mount
- Compatible with receiver-mounted shell carriers
- Will only fit 12-Gauge models
While you might have a super tough body where a 12 gauge simply feels like a .22 LR, those looking to reduce the Mossberg 500/590 firearm’s felt recoil can seriously consider the Blackhawk Knoxx Specops GEN III Stock.
This Mossberg 500/590 Specops Gen III Stock features a dual recoil-compensation system in the stock and pistol grip to reduce up to 80% of felt recoil. Though we’re not sure if it’s 80% exactly, the Mossberg 500 stock does definitely lead to a noticeable reduction in recoil for better handling.
In addition to recoil reduction, the 6-position adjustable stock even lets you change the length of pull from 12.5” to 15.2”, depending on what feels comfortable to you. This ensures the stock and pistol grip have better ergonomics, to make the Mossberg 500 shotgun feel more like a rifle than a shotgun.
While some may consider a weapon light or a red dot sight as their primary focus for upgrading a home defense gun, the Knoxx Specops GEN III Stock is one of the best Mossberg 500 accessories or upgrades you can get to improve your shotgun’s performance. Though you may feel that the price tag may seem a bit steep for a stock, it’s actually priced pretty competitively compared to other Mossberg 500 shotgun stock upgrades that offer far fewer features.
11. Mossberg Flex Synthetic Pistol Grip Black for Flex 500/590 – The Best Pistol Grip
- Gun Model: Mossberg Model 590, Mossberg Model 500
- Gun Type: Shotgun
- Fabric/Material: Synthetic
- Color: Black
Pistol grips are proven to help you keep control of your gun, even when your palms get sweaty or if you’re shooting in wet weather conditions. This leads to our top choice for the best pistol grip being the Mossberg Flex Synthetic Pistol Grip for the Mossberg 500/590 shotguns. Featuring a black polymer construction, this Mossberg 500 pistol grip has an aesthetically pleasing yet rugged look. However, for this to be used, you’re going to also need a flex stock adapter.
Overall, the Mossberg flex synthetic accessory is designed to provide complete control over your Mossberg 500/590 gun. It works amazingly at helping you absorb a good deal of recoil while allowing you to maintain control of your Mossberg 500 shotgun when your life or the competition is on the line.
12. Mossberg Barrel 20” – The Best Barrel
- Model: 500, Maverick 88
- Type: Barrels
- Barrel Finish: Blued
- Barrel Length: 20″
- Gauge: 12Gauge
- Choke Size: Accu Set
For the best Mossberg 500/590 barrel, we’ve chosen the Mossberg 20-inch barrel. This barrel will serve you reliably and effectively through all kinds of applications, regardless of whether it’s for hunting or home defense.
Other than helping your Mossberg 500 shotgun hold eight rounds, this barrel is even long enough to support impressive shot velocity. Made from heat-shielded materials and designed to be rust and corrosion-resistant, this Mossberg 500 shotgun barrel will definitely last you a long time provided you clean it on a regular basis.
Furthermore, this easy-to-install barrel will also pair well with most sights, especially front sights. Overall, the Mossberg 20” barrel is definitely one of our best Mossberg 500/590 accessories or upgrades thanks to its perfect length that will give your shots the perfect velocity if you want to hit your shot exactly where you want it.
While today’s guide did not cover every potential upgrade you could make to your gun, we believe that our list contains some of the best 500 and 590 Mossberg upgrades you can add to your weapon to improve your shotgun’s overall functionality and versatility.
If you’re still not sure of where to start, we’d recommend you to prioritize a way to mount a weapon light onto your gun. For this, we would suggest the TL-Racker forend that comes with an integrated light. However, getting forends such as the Magpul MOE can make it easier to mount other external lights to your gun.
After a weapon light, the next focus could be to add a red dot sight and all you really need is a cheap rail to make mounting it easier. Beyond that, the best upgrade would boil down to a lot of personal preference and needs.
All in all, the Mossberg 500 platform is well-proven, dependable, and evidently, almost endlessly upgradable. You can easily tune and customize your Mossberg gun almost as much as you can do to an AR-15.
Hopefully, today’s article and accessory reviews have been beneficial for you in your hunt for the best piece of accessory to go with your Mossberg gun. With enough research and patience, we are certain that you’ll be able to land the right upgrades to build the best gun for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are Sight Upgrades Required For Mossberg 500 and 590?
Well, these sight upgrades aren’t a necessity but they’d be a substitute if you dislike red dot sights to upgrade your bead sight. You can consider getting the XS Big Dot Front Sight which is large in size, easy to install and reliable as it has tritium insert to improve visibility.
Hello there, it’s Michael here. A gun lover since young, served the country for the last 20 years. I started the blog to share my experience and gun-related knowledge accumulated throughout the years. Hopefully, you will find something useful over here or just have fun! You can learn more about me here.